T,o comp/etc each/tom,c11oose the best word or phrase from arr1ong the flour choices. Then,on your ans viler sheet,find the nurrlbel, of the question and' mark your ansv1/er.
(1) After returning from the war,the soldier was( )by
nightmares,so he sought help from a counselor.
1 extricated 2 belittled 3 invoked 4 tormented
(2) Mr.Andrews didn't quite finish the marathon,but he sure made
a( )effort. Imagine running more than35 kilometers at
the age of 75!
1 valiant 2 frivolous 3 tainted 4 dubious
(3) Despite the restaurant's average service and( )decor,,the food itself was famous throughout the region.
l resplendent 2 divine 3 drab 4 sublime
(4) A new drug has been released that promises to( )the
pain of migraine headaches.
1 augment 2 propagate 3 resuscitate 4 alleviate
(5) The professor had a strong motive for praising his colleague's
findings:the new discoveries( )his own long-held
1 vindicated 2 cogitated 3 derided 4 fabricated
(6) The pharmacist recommended the cherry-flavored medicine,,assuring the mother that since it was much more( )than
other brands,children actually enjoyed taking it.
1 diabolic 2 pungent 3 hygienic 4 palatable
(7) Some theorists believe that globalization will lead to a
( )of values and beliefs as countries come together to
form one mass society.
1 conveyance2convergence3divulgence 4 dissonance
(8) The author had become increasingly( )with age,,refusing to grant interviews or make public appearances.
l revered 2 verbose 3 reclusive 4 venerable
(9) Liz's political science class held a( )presidential
debate yesterday so that students could experience some of the
problems that candidates face in real debates.
l mock 2 glib 3 scanty 4 lean
(10)During the dictator's rule,those who criticized his leadership
were arrested and thrown into prison with other political
1conformists2dissidents 3 apologists 4 hermits
(11)The woman was shocked by her date's( )behavior at
the restaurant,especially when he whistled to get the waiter's
1 uncouth 2 eloquent 3 nostalgic 4 nimble
(12)The union requested that the new policy on overtime pay be
applied( )from the beginning of the previous year.
1voraciously 2 retroactively
3 unabashedly 4 anonymously
(13)The forested hillside,ablaze in autumn( ),provided a
dramatic backdrop for the wedding ceremony.
l pasture 2 garnish 3 tundra 4 foliage
(14)When millionaire Rob Roberts heard about the( )
computers being used in local schools,he donated$150,000 to
help them upgrade their equipment.
l profound 2 archaic 3 intrepid 4 insolent
(15)The thieves( )the apartment,searching for any
valuables.They did not find many,but the mess they left behind